Tuesday, September 04, 2012

what happens when your IUD goes on a walkabout

right before surgery

i have so many things to blog about. so. many. things. life has been keeping us busy lately. we've had birthdays, trips to vegas, football games...i'll get to those posts soon.
this posted is dedicated to my IUD. yep, my IUD. you know that small little device that's placed in your cervix as birth control? yep, that's what i'm talking about.
so, here we go...
after having izzy, in 2008, i had the doctor put an IUD (the mirena) in because it's a long term, effective form of birth control that many of my friends liked over other birth control methods. for a while it was great. i didn't seem to notice any changes in my mood, weight or whatever. towards the end of 2010, i noticed that i was having weird stomach issues, not feeling well and having weird periods.
i know this is a lot of gross personal info but hang in there with me...
so i went to the doctor and talked to her about what it might be. the IUD came up as a possible problem but she thought that was very low on the list of possibilities so i dismissed the idea. i changed a few things in my diet to see if that helped. and it did. kinda. after about another year (so it's about sept. 2011 by now), i decided that i just wanted the IUD out. i wanted to start from ground zero and just find out what in the world was going on with my body since i didn't feel good all the time. i went back to the doctor and asked her to remove the IUD. i got changed, got into position on those lovely tables and the doctor searched for the little strings to pull on to remove the IUD. after searching for a few minutes, she announced that she couldn't find it. it was gone. she asked if i had seen it fall out and i answered no. i have horrible periods and told her it wouldn't surprise me if i hadn't seen it fall out. she ordered an ultrasound to make sure that it was up in my uterus. ultrasound was negative. the IUD was gone. the doctor closed the case and moved on. i was shocked, to say the least. that was the only birth control we had been relying on and was surprised i hadn't ended up pregnant because i wasn't sure how long it had been gone.
life moves on.
my stomach issues are still a problem.
weird periods are still a problem.
but i deal with all of it.
make changes to my diet again.
fast forward to last week, last tuesday to be exact...
i go in for my yearly pap with a new doctor. because she's a new doctor i gave her all of my history and filled her in on the missing IUD. she was totally puzzled. IUDs don't normally go missing. she asked if i had seen it fall out. no, i didn't. she asked if i had an ultrasound done. yes, i did but it wasn't in there. then she asked the million dollar question, "did you have an x-ray to see if had escaped your uterus?" no, i didn't. again, she was puzzled. she ordered an x-ray on the spot, sent me over to the imaging office and the x-ray was done within 30 min. i was told that they probably wouldn't have the results til the next day. that's fine, it's probably not gonna show anything anyway, i thought. not an hour passed by when i got a call from the doctor's office. i was actually at the grocery store at this point. i'm standing in the middle of the bread aisle and the nurse is saying to me over the phone, "well, it's in there and you need surgery as soon as possible." i just started laughing. are you kidding me? it was really in there? the nurse told me it was sitting just outside my uterus on the right side of my pelvis. and while taking it out might not cure all of my stomach issues, it would definitely help. the surgery was set for friday morning, just three days away.
side note: the other reason the surgery needed to be done asap was because that friday was my last day of insurance. i was so grateful this could all be taken care of before that expired.
i can't even express how many emotions i felt in those few days before the surgery. granted, i know this seems like a small thing compared to a lot of other health issues people face in theirs lives...but to know that taking out this little device could help me feel even a little better meant the world to me. and then all the questions came...
how long has it been this way?
will this really help me feel better?
how does this even happen?
most of those questions have yet to be answered. i'm not sure they ever will be. apparently, there have been extremely rare cases of the IUD breaking through the uterus. usually IUDs only move between the time they are put in and the six weeks it takes for them to make a home in a cervix. they usually don't get planted in the cervix and then move. so potentially, i had that little thing in my pelvis since 2008. ugh.
so, friday i had the surgery. it was done laparoscopically. i have three incisions. everything went well and there weren't any complications. my uterus seems fine. time will tell if this will help some of my other issues. i've been feeling quite nauseous and sore since friday. i've also been getting stupid air pockets stuck under my ribs or in my shoulders...to be honest, they are the worst pain out of all of it. i won't be sad to see those go.  i've just been taking it easy and trying to sleep as much as possible. mark and the kids have been so helpful. olivia is great at filling up my ice pack and ethan loves to warm up my rice heating pad. he's also awesome at noticing how green i get before i throw up. he thinks it's pretty cool. ah, kids. 
we even had some friends staying with us when all of this went down and they were very helpful with watching the kids and doing what they could around the house.
and thank you to those who have known about this and checked in on me and sent me well wishes. you guys are the best!
laying in bed with izzy after getting home
my ice pack, rice heating pad and peppermint to keep me from throwing up

beautiful flowers from my awesome sister!

everything i need to help me feel better...including a cupcake!

this is pretty much how i've been for days. thank goodness for meds.
now, once i really feel better, i will get back to blogging about all of other things that have been going on that don't involve surgery.

7 comments:

Chris and Tara Stanley said...

Wow! That is so weird! I thought about getting an IUD, but it kind of freaked me out, so I went with the pill. Are you guys done having kids? You should just make Mark got get fixed! Tell him to man up so you don't have to worry about it anymore! Hope you start feeling better!

Natalie said...

Oh. My. Gosh!!! First of all, I love you! You poor thing! I'm so sorry! And how scary?! I've never done the IUD thing, only the pill. I have several friends who love them though. But wow! I'm glad nothing more severe occurred while it was on its walkabout! Jeez. I'm glad your new doc decided to do an x day and she found out, amazing the difference a new doc makes. And what a blessing that the surgery was able to happen so quickly so your insurance could cover it before it expired. You know, it's things like this that really help everyone realize exactly how much God is at work in our lives. True blessings! I'm so glad the surgery went well, I'm sorry for all the pain and I truly hope this changes your stomach issues Hun. I truly do! Thank goodness for an awesome family and great friends. Wish I lived close so I could bring you some treats and gossip mags! ; > Sending good and healing thoughts your way!! *hugs!*

Chalise said...

I HOPE HOPE HOPE that this helps resolve your stomach issues. How wonderful would that be and how great that this all worked out before your insurance ended and that you don't have to worry about getting time off work to recover. Many blessings. Now if only those air pockets will go away...

Cathy Cassetta said...

Feel better soon! Glad it wasn't anything more serious. My experience with the IUD ( although almost 30 yrs ago, yikes!,) wasn't that serious, but I had a scare when I found out I was pregnant...it was in place and threatened the fetus :/

Caitlin said...

How crazy! What are the odds!? Well sounds like you were being looked after.. And what perfect timing! I really hope it helps with your stomach problems. And you start feeling better! So here's the question, would u recommend the IUD now, or would you ever get one again?

Amy said...

Oh boy! I am so sorry that happened and you are having a hard time recovering! Know that if I lived near by I would totally bring you dinner and cupcakes!!!

Liz said...

Emily, I just saw this on your FB page. That's crazy! I hope your health problems all improve now. You look so beautiful, even after surgery!. I'd love to look like that on a good day. :)