Monday, August 02, 2010

anyone?



So has anyone read this book? Planning on seeing the movie? I would like to do both. However, that's a new desire. I've never been a fan of the idea that you have to go somewhere to find yourself, as it were. I've had quite a few bad experiences with people I know doing that. I definitely see how a change of scenery is good for the soul once in a while, don't get me wrong. Like when we grow up and leave home for one reason or another...we have to learn about the world on our own. Or when we are stuck in a bad situation. Aren't there ways of becoming the person you want to be without going halfway around the world? Without leaving people behind? Maybe. Maybe not. I have mixed feelings. I can relate to the statement in the movie about how she wants to "marvel at something." I try to be conscience of that daily, especially when it comes to watching my children do something, but there hasn't been much marveling lately on a bigger scale. We all know that feeling. I love that feeling. And I would love to see how the book/movie attempts to guide us in doing so. Are there ways of marveling in the lives we currently lead? Seems like there are people who do. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of message both the book and movie send.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I want to read the book and see the movie as well. I like your take on it though, the thought never came to my mind. I just saw all the pretty scenery and Julia Roberts and I knew i had to see it. ;D

I hope you find your answers. :D

Anonymous said...

So you don't get freaked out - I am a friend of one of your blogging friends - I was looking at her family blog and saw this post (so I'm not a cyber stalker.!) My thoughts on your topic...
Definitely read the book before you see ANY movie... no matter how good an adaptation can be there is something magical about reading. I always find more poetry in the words characters say, connect on a deeper level to the stories and relationships, and find I use more of my imagination to put myself into the story (whether in the shoes of a central character, or simply being a bystander witnessing experiences/conversations that are taking place around me.)
With Eat Pray Love in particular - don't read it thinking I would never leave my life to find myself. Just read it knowing that when people say "to each, his own" that there really is wisdom in the phrase. And even though YOU personally may not do that, some people MUST leave everything they know to find who THEY really are. You will appreciate the story, the character, her life and her trials much more if you read the book first. Plus it's alway interesting to see how your imagination stacks up to the imaginations of writers and film makers. From, A Random Friend of a Friend :)